Would I hire you if I saw your Facebook page?
Many companies conduct online searches to see what they can learn about candidates before an interview. Here are our top 5 tips for job seekers to review before sending out resumes.
1. Keep private information private by utilizing the appropriate privacy settings on social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
2. Google yourself and review the results. Do you like what you see? Would an employer?
3. Review the books, movies, and pages you “like”. Do they really reflect your interests? Employers are supposed to only keep your skills in mind when hiring but often your overall web presence can sway potential employers toward or away from you.
4. Clean up your language. No one likes trash talk, especially employers.
5. Pictures speak a thousand words. Embarrassing pictures may be difficult to explain in an interview. Remove tags from photos if necessary.
Remember, first impressions are critical in person or online. Periodically auditing your online presence will ensure that you have an opportunity to grab the interview and “wow” your interviewer .